Monday, September 21, 2015

Wave After Wave

If you're an avid reader of my blog, you'd definitely notice that I have a thing for menswear-inspired fashion. If you've experienced difficulty trying to pull the look off, this post gives some guidance.
Masculine meets feminine: my favorite pairings. Juxtapositions. Opposites that work.

Sidebar: This is hands down my favorite skirt of all time, and I'm already dreading the day that it becomes over-worn and I have to let it go. It's a mini, but not too mini. I should probably start wearing it less then, I guess...

 Adding a brooch to a buttoned-up collar gives the illusion of a tie (this one has a bolo vibe), yet this piece still has a womanly flair.
Fedoras are traditionally worn by men, but they have since grown to become more unisex. 
Buttoned-up shirts tend to nod towards masculinity, but the modest crop length delivers subtle sensuality. Just a peek of skin, my perfect dosage.

A structured bag, especially a satchel, resembles a "man's purse." 

The bold red lipstick and colorful skirt keep the look flirty, fun and feminine.

These crocs-embossed pointed-toe booties are another masculine-meets-feminine touch, drawing inspiration from men's dress shoes.
I tied my hair in a loose bun, with the front strands hanging tousled to prevent the look of having a boyish cut.
(photos by Francis Nweji)

Top: Kenzo (sold out, similar herehere and here)
Skirt: Missoni (old, similar here and here)
Bag: Givenchy (love this beige color)
Hat: Dad's Fedora (similar)
Brooch: Chanel (try eBay)

Don't you love how the wave patterns on the skirt and shirt are paired together?
I've decided to wear this look again, this time adding a few more accessories. If you follow me on Instagram, you can see that I wore this skirt and shirt for the People Style Watch blogger event I attended on the last day of NYFW. 
I am definitely a dress girl. They are so easy and comfortable (most of them) and it's just one item to remove when changing. However, I'm pushing myself to get into separates because you can do so much more with them. Mixing and matching and creating different looks is an essential part of owning a versatile closet. Collecting accessories can also diversify a wardrobe. Just a few shinny or fuzzy touches can instantly update a look or glam up an otherwise dull outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment